Thursday, November 02, 2006

Sock knitting machine update

So here it is, fully assembled, rust-free, and in proper working condition.... or so we ( Dad, my sister and I ) thought.

Our first challenge was to figure out how this machine casts on. After trying different ways, we discovered that the "figure 8" is what works. So we casted on ... and cranked the machine.

Unfortunately it didn't want to crank itself smoothly, so we had to oil it again.
And again.
And again.
What a mess!

Then we started having some slipped stitched.
Back to oiling it again....
And again.

And then we realized that there was this weight system that we hadn't used.

It turns out that the weights are there for a reason, and should be use, otherwise the yarn has a tendency to try to escape this scary torture device.

And finally, it was running smoothly enough to do a long, useless tube.
Next lesson: turn a heel.

1 comment:

RoadSide said...

Wow-- you got it working !! Now, all you have to do is create some sort of knitted art-piece out of tubes : ) I cant wait to see how the heel is turned, its really interesting. Cheers!